Welcome to the Contest Corner! This section of the newsletter will be dedicated to news about upcoming contests at the club, area, division, and district level. The next friendly competition will be the Humorous & Evaluation contests. For more information on what each contest entails and who is eligible, please see attached flyer. The district competition dates have already been determined:
- Area F-1: September 13, 2013
- Area F-2: September 28, 2013
- Area F-3: September 7, 2013
- Area F-4: September 14, 2013
- Division F: October 19, 2013
- District 33: November 9, 2013
Club level contests, then, should be set to occur sometime in August with planning beginning in July! What is the incentive to get people to help plan (other than the fun of the contest)? Helping organize a contest counts towards project 10 in your Competent Leader manual!!
Club contests have a lot of flexibility in terms of how they need to be run. That said, though, here are some general guidelines when it comes to planning your contest:
- Contest Chair – identify someone to organize your club event. Note: this counts towards project 6 or project 10 in your Competent Leader handbook!
- Date, Time, Location – pick a date, time, and location for your club contest. Usually it is done in place of a regular meeting in August but it can be a different date/time/place if you so choose.
- Contestants – start to promote the contest within your club and sign-up contestants. Doing this early gives the contestants plenty of time to prepare! Note: giving a contest speech counts towards your Competent Communicator award (as long as someone fills out a written evaluation for you in your CC book).
- Contest Toastmaster – who will lead your contest? The division leadership team has pre-made scripts for the toastmaster to use.
- Chief Judge – who will organize/brief your judges, timers, and ballot counters? The division leadership team has a script for the briefing.
- Judges – ideally identify 3 people to serve as judges
- Timer & Ballot Counter– have at least one of each
- Contest Materials – have the chair or chief judge download the contest materials from toastmasters.org
- Membership Opportunity – consider advertising your contest to friends and co-workers, etc. It’s a great opportunity to show people what toastmasters is all about!